Every year, I think, “Wow, that was the biggest year yet. There’s no way it can get any bigger.” And then January tears around the corner and the new year reveals itself once again to be grander than what my imagination is capable of. Part of the reason I’m still surprised by any of it is that I can’t believe this is my job, my real grown up job. Through a ton of hard work and a stubborn persistence, we have managed in 8 years to turn a small passion project into an actual company. I’m grateful every single day to be able to lead our mission alongside of my business partner Jeremy and our incredible team.
2017 is not unlike years past. The first couple months have been total whirlwind adventure. Here’s the 2017 Winter Highlight Reel:
- Hundreds of Wisconsin’s millennials responded to the call for the best places to work for young professionals. We had some returning winners and some newbies added to the mix of 2017 Bubbler Award winners.
- Milwaukee Police Chief Flynn went off the record with us during the Spotlight.
- The Westown park pop up installation, which was decommissioned for the winter, kicked up a bit of controversy.
- The 72 Initiative has taken us to Green Bay, Stevens Point and Kenosha. We’re heading to Phillips later next month.
- In partnership with Concordia University Wisconsin, we piloted the 72 Initiative Institute, training young professional leaders across the state on best practices for running their organizations.
- We partnered with Aurora Health Care to tackle the 1000+ open jobs they have in the metro area: first with an Interview in February and now with Make it in Milwaukee.
- With our new partners, BrightStar Foundation, we launched a new business pitch platform called HATCH in Central Wisconsin.
- After a year of retirement, we brought back the infamous NEWaukee Social. We saw hundreds of people new to the city gather to live out our original tagline: meet new people and meet Milwaukee.
- We had a few oldies, but goodies in the programming mix: Detour by Carr featured a Milwaukee 101 tour and some brave souls ignored the cold during the January Gallery Night Art Bus.
- Along with the Underground Collaborative, we tried to fully embrace winter this year with the inaugural Snowpocalypse. After four days outside, we burned the ice bar down.
- We supported our newest nonprofit partner, the Menomonee Valley Partners in their inaugural Urban Candlelight Hike. Thousands explored the valley for the very first time!
- We showed the world WHY Palermo’s Pizza has chosen Milwaukee.
- Every other week, we explore the Intersection of People and Place through our new podcast with WTMJ Mobile.
- Our dear friend Noah, launched a content series through our blog giving folks professional and personal development advice.
- For the first time in Milwaukee’s history, the millennial leaders across all of the major organizations have united to form the mayor’s talent attraction and retention advisory council.
- 10 new communities joined in the production of YPWeek Wisconsin, allowing the millennials across the state to reflect on what it means to Think-Make-Happen in their home towns.
We’re nearing the end of March, but there’s no slowing down here at NEWaukee. Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest and greatest of what’s next!
Hope to see your shining faces at some of the upcoming programs this spring. We’ve got a stacked lineup for YPWeek Milwaukee presented by Northwestern Mutual April 22 -29, 2017.
CEO & Co-Founder