Urban Island Beach Party
Celebrate summer on the tropical shores of Milwaukee!
The Urban Island Beach Party is not your typical fundraiser. Instead when you attend, find a festival filled with live music, fantastic food and drinks, kayaking, dancing & more with proceeds going to the Friends of Lakeshore State Park! So put on your best Hawaiian shirt, hunt down one of our flamingos and come to celebrate the park and the summer.
Plus, join the Friends of Lakeshore State Park in a special Floating Lantern Celebration. At dusk, guests are invited to light and launch a floating lantern into the lagoon along with a wish that suits their desires. Urban Island Beach Party is free and open to the public for attendees and lantern spectators. To participate in the lantern celebration, pre-purchase your lantern when registering for $20. All proceeds of the celebration support the Friends of Lakeshore State Park.
If you pre-order a lantern, have your ticket ready and look for a table on the beach to pick it up starting at 7pm. We will begin lighting and launching lanterns at approximately 8:00pm.
- 4:00-5:15PM – Unity the Band – Reggae
- 5:45-6:45PM – Hot by Ziggy – Reggae
- 7:15-8:15PM – Foreign Goods – Reggae
- 8:45-9:30PM – Marcus Doucette – DJ
- 9:45-11:00PM – Plaid Hawaii – DJ
- Throughout the festival, see the amazing talents of the Hale O Malo Dance Group, and learn some fun dance moves with them!
- Iron Grate BBQ will be featuring what they’re best known for, real wood smoked BBQ. There will even be a guest appearance from their smoker, Roxanne. Additionally, they will feature a rare food tent with a completely different menu. There will be a live fire cooking right on the island as Iron Grate spit roasts whole lambs.
- The Rolling Cone Food Truck – Try all of your favorite foods wrapped up in a delicious bread cone.
- Pilcrow Coffee is known for its delicious Nitro Brews. Stop by and see their transportable coffee bar on wheels.
- Pop’s Popcorn: Delicious kettle corn!
- Pete’s Pops: Cool off with a refreshing popsicle!
- Happy Dough Lucky: Donuts & lemonade!
- Grab a drink from the Terrapin Beer Co. Beer Garden!
- Kayak and stand up paddle board in the lagoon, provided by Milwaukee Kayak Company (5pm until Dusk)
- Harley-Davidson will be on site with their JumpStart™ Rider Experience.
- Enjoy “Beer” Pong, S’Mores trolley carts and more with Camp Halcyon
- Get ready to roll with competitive “American Gladiator” style human hamster ball spheres from Music on the Move.
- Participate in a special Floating Lantern Celebration at dusk. Free to watch, $20 to participate. You can pre-purchase your lantern when your register. All proceeds support the Friends of Lakeshore State Park.
- Play our Find a Flamingo Contest during Downtown Employee Appreciation Week! If you find a flamingo, you win a free drink!
- Relax with Sunset Yoga led by Becky Tesch, starting at 7:30PM!
- And so much more!
ONLY $5 starting at 4pm plus $1 off your park at the 875 Garage on Secure Parking. The garage is located near Betty Brin Children’s Museum and a short walk to Lakeshore State Park.
How to redeem discount:
- Pull ticket on entry
- Scan ticket on exit
- Scan coupon (QR code below) to redeem discount
- We are happy to provide a bike valet service from Coast in Bikes. Bike or boat to Lakeshore State Park and receive a free beer!
- Urban Island Beach Party is dog-friendly. Please be watchful and remember to clean up after yourself and your furry friend.
- We highly recommend bringing blankets and/or camping chairs.
- No carry ins are allowed.
Find A Flamingo Contest:
In the week leading up to the Urban Island Beach Party, look for the almost 60 flamingos the NEWaukee team has hidden throughout the city. Tip: We will be hiding the flamingos in and around the Downtown Employee Appreciation Week programs! If you find one, bring it to the Leinenkugel Brewing Company’s beer garden on the island to receive a free beer! Flamingos will be spread throughout the city starting July 30th, 2018. If you find one, bring it back to the island to keep the flock together!
- Find the flamingo!
- Take a picture and upload it to Facebook or Twitter with the hashtag #IslandParty or upload it to the Urban Island Beach Party Facebook Event.
- Bring the flamingo to the island party in exchange for a free beer to create a flock in the Beer Garden.
500 North Harbor Drive
Milwaukee, WI 53202
The Park is located in and along Lake Michigan east of the Summerfest Grounds and south of Discovery World. The north entrance to the Park is the path to the Park’s bridge south of the Discovery World entrance. The south entrance of the Park is where Erie Street ends and meets the harbor entrance. Follow the park road east along the water and under the Hoan Bridge. A Park Sticker is not required, and free parking is available at marked locations or along the road where not prohibited. Follow the road to the end for parking nearest the peninsula portion of the park.
From the West:
Take I-94 east to Lakefront exit. Turn right on Michigan St./Harbor Drive. The Park entrance path is off the road to Discovery World’s entrance. See parking options below.
From the North:
Take I-43 to 794 Lakefront and proceed to the Lakefront exit. Turn right on Michigan St./Harbor Drive. The Park entrance path is off the road to Discovery World’s entrance. See parking options below.
From the South:
Follow I-94/I-43 north and exit at Lakefront exit. Proceed east to Lakefront exit. Turn right on Michigan St./Harbor Drive. The Park entrance path is off the road to Discovery World’s entrance. See parking options below.
From the East:
Come by boat and dock at one of our 20 slips. Call 414.274.4283 to make a reservation.
The Oak Leaf Trail and Hank Aaron State Trail will take you right to the Park.
Milwaukee County Transit bus route 10 stops on Prospect Ave., across O’Donnell Park. Routes 10, 12, 20, 23, 30, 31 and 137 serve the Downtown Transit Center on Wisconsin Ave. at Cass St., one block west of the lakefront.
Ozaukee County Express route 143 runs on weekdays. It stops at the Downtown Transit Center on Michigan St. and Lincoln Memorial Drive, with service from Cedarburg, Fredonia, Grafton, Mequon, Port Washington and Saukville.
Thank you to our sponsors!
We are so grateful to our sponsors of the Urban Island Beach Party. Their gracious support allows NEWaukee to highlight the Friends of Lakeshore State Park, an organization dedicated to promoting and supporting Lakeshore State Park for the entire community to enjoy.
The Friends of Lakeshore State Park welcome you to their park! The park provides a unique urban oasis with recreational opportunities and amenities for all to enjoy. The 17-acre park includes a lakeside trail that connects to the Hank Aaron and Oak Leaf state trails. A 130-foot bridge connects the north end of the park to the Summerfest grounds and an extension of the land near the Marcus Amphitheater connects the south end.